1996-08-17 - Re: Orbiting Datahavens

Header Data

From: Derek Bell <dbell@maths.tcd.ie>
To: CP <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 85129f7a17423c43fa621e887a85ba33204fe2acb4e0d437e40aefac16917776
Message ID: <9608171851.aa04986@salmon.maths.tcd.ie>
Reply To: <32155657.53661@mail.aa.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-17 20:00:08 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Bell <dbell@maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 04:00:08 +0800
To: CP <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Orbiting Datahavens

In message <32155657.53661@mail.aa.net>, "Brian C. Lane" writes:
>  How about an orbiting DataHaven. No jurisdiction to bother with,
>extremely difficult to get to (except by large governments...). You could
>put together a couple of Linux boxes with a RAID system, some backups and a
>large solar panel and have a very nice, secure DataHaven.

	Wouldn't you have to use military-grade chips for the hardware? (Or
whatever the type is - it had better survive launch, not to mention solar
flares.)

>  Granted, you wouldn't have all the fun of floating around the south
>pacific fending off pirates and navies who are after your data, but it
>would work. Might even be cheaper than outfitting the oil-ring with the
>rate that they are tossing satellites into space.

	Well, there would be less need to make it hurricane proof! :-)

>  If the HAM radio community can get a satellite into space, why not the
>Cypherpunks/Linux communities?

	Wow - I've been out of touch with space programmes in the last few
years - which satellite was this? (The HAM radio one?)

	Anyone have any reccomendations for good web sites on
satellites/rockets/space science in general?

	Here's a couple of ESA URLs to start the ball rolling:
ARIANE 5 Failure - Full Report
European Space Agency

	I'm not sure who would launch it - a Japanese launcher? (ESA is
strapped for cash, which was one reason for the phenomenaly stupid move of
putting space probes onto the maiden flight of the Ariane 5.)

	Derek

Thread