1996-08-09 - RE: STEGO GUNS

Header Data

From: talon57@well.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8538197deafe925385d20546a0bba0998229717de62b88cd3a4a8e44c7482afd
Message ID: <199608081735.KAA03397@well.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:08:41 +0800

Raw message

From: talon57@well.com
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:08:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: STEGO GUNS

Jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com> wrote:

>Said ordinance being passed, as a protest against Elk Grove, IL
>passing an orinance, banning handguns.  Anybody know when Elk
>Grove revoked their ordinance?  Crime went down for six months
>there [ Elk Grove ] after the ban was passed, then it went up
>far surpassing previous crime levels, for all types of crime.

Pardon me Jonathon, but I believe you are confusing Morton Grove
with Elk Grove. I do not have the statistics for the crime rates
there, but several friends who have moved from there insist the
crime rate has continued upwards as you mentioned. Also there are
a couple of other interesting facts.

1) The city council exempted themselves from the handgun ban.

2) The wife of the Mayor reportedly purchased a handgun the day
after the law was enacted.

Brian

Thread