1996-08-22 - Re: HP supporting GAK, export controls

Header Data

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com
To: shamrock@netcom.com
Message Hash: 86240e93638f0327434b988150f71aa4556457e7b7cbb824518e338ff3ca2652
Message ID: <199608221831.OAA03495@sherry.ny.ubs.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 06:19:26 +0800

Raw message

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 06:19:26 +0800
To: shamrock@netcom.com
Subject: Re: HP supporting GAK, export controls

HP seems to have outlived their usefulness. sad, isn't it, when a really
first class operation has to die. and to go out in such a ignoble  way.
the `ole boys' must not be resting well in their graves.

	-paul

> From cypherpunks-errors@toad.com Wed Aug 21 18:31:33 1996
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 14:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
> Subject: HP supporting GAK, export controls
> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
>
> [Sorry, the last one went out without a subject]
>
> HP is in the process of ramroding a pro-GAK, pro-export control
> resolution through CommerceNet's public policy working group.
>
> Here are the details.
>
> HP is marketing several DES products that currently can not be sold
> abroad. In order to be allowed to sell these products, HP is willing to
> give the USG the following in return:
>

> 1.  Support by CommerceNet to have GAK built into the (inevitable)
> domestic PKI. [Their presentation included the word "voluntary". When I
> asked what was meant by that, I got the reply "There are many
> interpretations of the word "voluntary"." Suffice to say there are
> fundamental differences in what I mean by "voluntary" and what their
> proposal would require the definition of "voluntary" to be.]
>
> 2.  Support by CommerceNet for export restrictions on stronger forms of
> crypto than DES as well as restrictions on export of crypto for products
> not directly related (in HP's opinion) to ecommerce, such as email.
>
> This ill conceived attempt to use CommerceNet's clout as industry
> organization to liberalize export rules on HP's products, and those of a
> few other companies supporting HP in this effort, at a heavy cost to
> everybody else, must be stopped. Please let HP know how you feel about
> their initiative and encourage CommerceNet to adopt an anti-GAK,
> anti-export control position.
>
> --Lucky

Thread