1996-08-23 - Re: USPS

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 86afc04c37a98d747af3f29f77f34ecc07bccdb43522c4eab939cee05aae2908
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960822221126.16732B-100000@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Reply To: <ae422fd400021004704e@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-23 05:02:47 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:02:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:02:47 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: USPS

The USPS does have a role in the world of e-commerce, but I think it's
likely to be much less than they think. Bilateral agreements are often
more efficient for long-term work, but for general one-off transactions,
it's cheaper to have a _small_ number of commonly trusted third parties.

For this reason, I think it would make a lot of sense to have DMVs serve
as certification agencies (a role they fill today).

You don't necessarily have to trust them any more than you trust a
drivers licence for applications where 100% certaintiy is what you need,
but for your typical commercial situation it'll do fine.

Simon.

p.s.
 has anyone done any studies on the cost of making different kind of
trust decisions (both of the 'trust a CA' and various orders of the web
of trust model? (i.e. trust as introducer^n)

---
Cause maybe  (maybe)		      | In my mind I'm going to Carolina
you're gonna be the one that saves me | - back in Chapel Hill May 16th.
And after all			      | Email address remains unchanged
You're my firewall -    	      | ........First in Usenet.........

Thread