1996-08-13 - Re: Anguilla story…

Header Data

From: Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ba74b0db7c260ff631bf6ed0ba04f7b67141135802c5f61202780e58c259b9c
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960813095908.8354B-100000@offshore>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960813085122.8261A@offshore>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-13 19:55:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 03:55:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 03:55:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anguilla story...

> From: sasa.roskar@uni-lj.si
>
> Can someone please tell me the origin of this whole Anguilla story
> that's been going around a lot for the past few days... I just
> got onto the list two days ago, and I didn't catch the beginning
> of it... thanks,

In a nut shell, taxbomber.com was on my system in Anguilla.  He was
selling "camoflauge passports".  One David Evans of Bloomberg Business
News wrote an article where he quoted taxbombers page saying something
like "it is illegal to use these passports to open up bank accounts, but
there is little chance of getting caught". I got a call from my lawyer who
had seen the article (along with just about everyone else in Anguilla) and
he told me that was illegal in Anguilla and I should cancle the account.
I did and taxbomber moved to another provider in another country.

1) A number of cypherpunks are dissapointed that I did not fight to my
death to defend this guy.

2) If the guy did not mention where his site was, the reporter probably
would never have mentioned Anguilla and me in the article.

3) If something is illegal in one country and legal in another, the guy
can move.  Going after the provider in one country will not stop him.

4) Anguilla is a taxhaven.  Anything that gives the country a bad name
hurts the clean business, where most of the money is.

  --  Vince

Vincent Cate   vince@offshore.com.ai  http://www.offshore.com.ai/vince/
Offshore Information Services         http://www.offshore.com.ai/

Thread