1996-08-28 - Re: Bullshit or Not ?

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ef3c7d36404d7ab8e3a04aaa7834f4ea0b2ca11ec34883435fdba1c2bfa7aa5
Message ID: <3.0b11.32.19960828102326.00a7a45c@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 05:25:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 05:25:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bullshit or Not ?

At 04:57 AM 8/28/96 -0700, anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com wrote:
>I snagged this off a news group this AM.. comments??
>
>A lot of people think that PGP encryption is unbreakable and that the
>NSA/FBI/CIA/MJ12 cannot read their mail. This is wrong, and it can be a
>deadly mistake. In Idaho, a left-wing activist by the name of Craig Steingold
>was arrested  _one day_ before he and others where to stage a protest at
>government buildings; the police had a copy of a message sent by Steingold
>to another activist, a message which had been encrypted with PGP and sent
>through E-mail.

This is quite bogus.  The first clue is the mention of "Craig Stiengold".  A
variation of "Craig Shergold" a widely known (and misspelled) urban legend.

This has been debunked a number of times.
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread