1996-08-02 - Viet Nam Considered Less Harmful than Cambodia

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9c561ee0cdae2482eb92a4d7baf4d5567786b6a83ae8013ec73069f810403412
Message ID: <ae26a67e0f021004507b@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:00:27 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:00:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Viet Nam Considered Less Harmful than Cambodia

(Welcome back, David...I haven't seen you post in a long while)

At 6:44 AM 8/1/96, David K. Merriman wrote:

>Were a government - duly elected - to come into power similar to that in
>30's Germany or 70's Viet Nam, so that intellectuals or the educated
>became the targets of oppression, would she be as adamant about the
>perceived "rights" of Government to intrude in her private life, monitor
>her communications, and so on?

Though I am no defender of the People's Benovolent and Democratic
Government of Viet Nam, I think you must be thinking of Cambodia.

It was Cambodia, in the form of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, which decided
to exterminate all educated persons (except themselves, of course). Those
wearing eyeglasses were considered Enemies of the People, because
presumably they knew how to read.

Compared to Cambodia, Viet Nam was a paradise. In fact, I cheered in '79
when Viet Nam invaded Cambodia.

--Tim May, who wonders if anyone with access to the Net will become part of
the mountains of skulls in Pax Americana

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!