1996-08-13 - Re: Police prepare stunning end for high-speed car chases

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9ced7507be4c6bc5fcce31a61a92312a358f7c87aa6b43f141a977a3fdf36e67
Message ID: <199608130343.UAA16999@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:15:51 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:15:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Police prepare stunning end for high-speed car chases

At 09:54 AM 8/12/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>(And I'm not ignorant of such technologies, having attended several of the
>Nuclear and Space Radiation Effects Conferences. I also played around with
>this as a minor plot element in a novel I was working on several years ago,
>namely, a character killed in Los Alamos when the Electronic Engine Control
>circuitry of his BMW was zapped while on a mountain road. This, by the way,
>is a "side effect" of widely deploying such EM cannon technologies--people
>using them on twisty mountain roads. I can think of some places near Big
>Sur and around Devil's Slide where such a gizmo would produce real
>interesting effects!)

Why would you need an "EM Cannon" for this?  Just string a 1-car-sized loop
of wire on the surface of a road, and off in the bushes hide a battery,
DC-to-Hi voltage DC converter and 20kv+ capacitor, and a vacuum switch or
some other switch arrangement.  When the car in question traverses the loop,
short the switch and the car will be blasted with 20,000 volt-turns of
induction.  Sure, most of it will pass harmlessly through the car's steel,
but even iron has a limited "mu" which means that every electrical device in
the car will be subjected to a certain amount of induced EMF, probably
enough to at least reset a few microprocessors and possibly even destroy them.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread