1996-08-16 - Re: Burden of proof

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9ea28fb870413bbe2716632290a2e687bd2f149ddd358db5a7f2b4c0e1bb6bb8
Message ID: <ae391d630b0210046a57@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:14:51 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:14:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Burden of proof

At 11:25 PM 8/15/96, Scottauge@aol.com wrote:

>> This relates to something I have been wondering about:  If one could
>>  get one's company to pay one in electronic cash, what is to stop one
>>  from piling the coins in a Datahaven somewhere (assuming one existed
>>  that would be usable for these purposes) and say to the IRS: Money?
>>  What money?  Can you find any of my money?  I, uhh... lost it!  Yeah,
>>  that's it!!
>
>But then how do you spend it?  What if instructions are given to the banking
>system to not deal with such and such bank (or datahaven)?  How are you going
>to get it out and spend them deniros?

This is practically the least of the concerns.

Assuming one could, say, be paid reliably and without True Name attached,
in a country like Anguilla (to use a current example), it would be simple
enough to fly to Anguilla for a vacation, pick up the money, and return to
the U.S.

I've never had my bags searched on an incoming flight, and even if one is
fearful of this, there are multiple ways to get the cash back.

This is not an ideal, pure crypto anarchist solution, but it certainly
shows that getting the payments made to an offshore account is much more
than half the battle.

(I hear that some consultants to offshore companies are already doing
something like this--they consult for some large fee, e.g., $200K, and then
arrange to be paid out over a period of many years on a contingency basis.
This reduces taxes, at least on this payment, considerably. And they can,
while in Macao, or Singapore, etc., transfer money around the world to
various locales they may visit in the future....)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!