1996-08-28 - Re: File System Encryption

Header Data

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
To: “Douglas R. Floyd” <drifter@c2.net>
Message Hash: a7acabc7715d21a5f66803f561a61bc933077d8ad698888e53b8abc4960db14c
Message ID: <19960828165105171.AAA175@IO-ONLINE.COM>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:22:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:22:09 +0800
To: "Douglas R. Floyd" <drifter@c2.net>
Subject: Re: File System Encryption

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:01:03 -0500 (CDT), Douglas R. Floyd wrote:

>> I'm aware of the three main disk encryption programs SFS, SECDRV, and
>> SECDEV, but I need to find a solution that works with Windows 95 32bit
>> or Windows NT 4.0.
>>
>> I'm currently using SFS 1.17 and Secure Drive under Win-95, but am
>> unable to continue to work in dos compatability mode due to severe
>> performance hits.  I am open to commercial products that have passed
>> peer review, but know of none.
>>
>> If anyone could suggest a solution (outside of switching OS's), I
>> would be *most* gratefull.
>>
>> Please respond to the list, as I am a subscriber under another
>> account.
>
>If you have another 386 or 486 lying around, you could install Linux and
>Ian's encrypted loopback code on a remote box, then NFS or Samba the
>filesystem over.  For protection, you could modify the vlock command to
>lock the console (and not unlock it), and disable inetd.  Then, unless

Better yet, patch some stuff onto a spare power supply cable so that a small
siren would go off on a reboot and then use those security bolts to hold the
case on.  That would probably discourage someone from rebooting off a floppy.

>someone has the permissions to access the files through the network, the
>files are inaccessable ;-).

Neat idea, and a great use for all the linux security patches we've heard
about.

/ If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
/ Home: Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
/ Autoresponder: send email w/subject of "send resume" or "send PGPKEY"
/ Work: cadams@acucobol.com | V.M. (619)515-4894 | (619)689-6579
/ Member in good standing of the GNU whirled hors d'oeuvre

Thread