1996-08-31 - [FUCKHEAD] Re: Dr. Vulis is a test, right? [was RE: Desubscribe]

Header Data

From: qut@netcom.com (Dave Harman OBC)
To: N/A
Message Hash: ae3c5675159b3e5d4d091f5f55b275571723e17ff29966f685639bd9a400e6b4
Message ID: <199608311526.IAA03410@netcom21.netcom.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960830224855.00355560@labg30>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-31 17:22:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 01:22:10 +0800

Raw message

From: qut@netcom.com (Dave Harman OBC)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 01:22:10 +0800
Subject: [FUCKHEAD] Re: Dr. Vulis is a test, right? [was RE: Desubscribe]

ON
!
! I can't believe it any more.
!
! On Fri, 30 Aug 96 02:47:21 EDT, Dr. (of what, pray tell?) Vulis blathers first:
!
! >> > If you don't have the brains to forge the From:, then you have no
! >> > business being subscribed to any mailing list.
!
! and then again:
!
! >Whoever uses the term "spam" in derogatory manner, opposes free
! >speech and deserves to be caned.
!
! First, accusing someone of stupidity for not having learned how to telnet to
! an SMTP server is a bit harsh, especially since the guy might be stuck
! behind a firewall that mungs his addresses AFTER his messages goes out --
! not that Dr. V bothered to find out before the accusation.
!
! Second, suggesting anyone be caned for their political beliefs (and
! resultant speech) is quite obviously NOT the action taken by someone who
! defends free speech.  Again, Dr. V. put those beliefs in his words through
! his flawed logic.
!
! It's like watching a KKKlucker yelling, "you have no right to say that we
! don't support free speech," and not getting it.
!
! And for what -- the thoughtcrime of calling Dr. V a spammer?  Hmm.  About
! the closest I can come to finding a "crime" here is trademark infringement.
! I'm sure Hormel is following this closely.
!
! All of this is merely annoying.  But slamming Tim May because of his
! heritage?  "criminal Arm*nian grandparents"?  Now it's a crime not only to
! call Dr. V a spammer, but to have ancestors born someplace his ancestors
! taught him to not approve of.  (Can you say "racism", kids?  Sure.  I knew
! you could.)
!
! When I first started reading this list, it was about the time Jim Bell was
! espousing the A.P. theories, and I thought him a fool for it.  I put his
! name in my filter, sending his posts to the trash.  More and more, I found
! myself heading to the trash bin to follow a thread that Jim was contributing
! to.  Valuable contributions, mind you, not just more of his A.P. stuff.  Of
! course, I ended up removing him from my filter.  (For missing that month of
! your posts, Jim, I owe you an apology.)
!
! At that time, I realized a few things:  Filters certainly aren't the answer;
! and everybody can come up with valuable contributions.
!
! Anyway, my current status is to have the filters set to remove posts with
! the words [NOISE] or [OFF-TOPIC] somewhere in the headers.  It helps weed
! out stuff that really isn't why I'm here reading this list.
!
! Given that I feel that even Dr. Vulis might possibly contribute something of
! value to this list at some unspecified time in the future, I have come to
! the conclusion that the only solution is to ask him to change his e-mail
! name field to:
!
!   dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM [NOISE] )
!
! until such time as he can actually come up with something useful to say to
! the rest of us.  Maybe he could even throw in an [-L18] tag, if he's going
! to continue to [spit | fuck | fart] every posting that leaps through his screen.
!
! [ Note to everyone else:  that's SARCASM there, hope you got it! ]
!
! So, my original question is:  is there really a Dr. Dmitri Vulis (KOTM)
! somewhere?  Or is he just some made-up straw man, created by Tim May, John
! Gilmore and Eric Hughes for their personal amusement, and to add a spot of
! controversy so we can feel like we're not preaching to the choir with every
! pro-cypher posting?  I often thought that was the case with David Sternlight
! as well.  Or is Dr. Vulis really best-buddies with Tim May, and his way of
! showing affection is to "fart in his general direction" with every post?
!
! If he exists, I pity the unsuspecting students who wander into his class who
! might not have the genetic makeup he approves of.  And now I *completely*
! understand tenure.
Fuckhead.

Thread