1996-08-17 - Re: proxy servers in Singapore

Header Data

From: “Mark C. Henderson” <mch@squirrel.com>
To: Scott Schryvers <brendon@home.net (Brendon Macaraeg)
Message Hash: af8483f32e3f0e4e0d9543d817f41eda5103e86c42a21e2cd68b07ad6cc6d380
Message ID: <9608171227.TE25432@squirrel.com>
Reply To: <199608171424.JAA26755@sr.radiks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-17 21:18:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 05:18:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark C. Henderson" <mch@squirrel.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 05:18:33 +0800
To: Scott Schryvers <brendon@home.net (Brendon Macaraeg)
Subject: Re: proxy servers in Singapore

> >Did anyone else catch the AP wire story
> >(it ran here in the SF Chronicle on Thursday)
> >about the Singapore government cracking
> >down on "undesirable" (e.g., sex smut, anti-govt.
> >postings etc.) content on web sites, usenet etc.
> >Their basically forcing, by law, Singapore  ISPs to use
> >proxy servers that contain the information
> >that the govt. deems fit.

A copy of the regulations is available from
http://www.gov.sg/sba/netreg/regrel.htm

One of the providers in Singapore (singnet) has the following
page up about the proxy server that Singnet customers will be forced
to use
http://www.singnet.com.sg/cache/sbareg.html

Scary stuff. But pretty much everything I hear about Singapore is
pretty scary.

I'm wondering if they'll implement this by blocking direct
connectivity from their customers machines for TCP with the
destination ports commonly used by http, ftp, etc. thus allowing
people to do things not supported by the proxy and to get around the
blocking pretty easily, or if they'll just block all direct IP
connectivity between their customers and the rest of the Internet, so
people in Singapore will be reduced to viewing the Internet as
nothing more than the WWW.

--
Mark Henderson -- mch@squirrel.com, henderso@netcom.com, markh@wimsey.bc.ca
ViaCrypt PGP Key Fingerprint: 21 F6 AF 2B 6A 8A 0B E1  A1 2A 2A 06 4A D5 92 46

Thread