1996-08-29 - Re: stego virus

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b6fd4a85325c30f9609f0e6b59141b08a38e3fa0df9a609f0b205aa9d69d2edb
Message ID: <ae4a444102021004477c@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:45:49 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:45:49 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: stego virus

At 11:56 PM 8/28/96, Moroni wrote:
>   If a virus is embedded into a giff ,is it executed when the giff is or
>does it require the usual overwriting etc methods to execute it?
>                      TIA

The virus is activated when the GIF is _viewed_.

The viewing of the GIF activates the cerebro-visual processing centers of
the brain, activating the ancient Sumerian meme complex. I assume, of
course, you are referring to the deadly Snow Crash Good Times virus.

If infected, the only solution is to unsubscribe from the Cypherpunks list
before others are similarly infected.

Hey, Moroni, we've missed your particular slant these last few months.

--Klaus