1996-08-29 - Re: SUN_pak

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bec4417e0dd167aeded30e69051a7b6c1793c68f6ae3ccd8a2e0253287d84502
Message ID: <9608282355.AA00745@ch1d157nwk>
Reply To: <199608281900.TAA15017@pipe2.t2.usa.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-29 06:24:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:24:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:24:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SUN_pak

I was looking at the description of this patent (thanks to JYA for providing
easy access to this article...), and I can't believe Sun got a patent for
this.  Tunneling encrypted IP sessions over regular IP by using a gateway
router is hardly a novel idea and is immediately obvious to anyone who is
knowledgable in networking and crypto.  Aren't there already products out
there (hardware and software) that implement this sort of thing?  I seem to
remember Cisco producing a router and MorningStar producing software that did
this.  I also seem to remember the concept being discussed on this very list
several years back (can't check the archives from work though...)  I believe
there is even a name for it:  VPN (Virtual Private Networks)  John Gilmore
is currently putting together a project to do much the same thing in
software...

Did I miss something innovative in this patent, or is this another example
of clueless patent examiners granting patents for things that don't deserve
patent protection?

andrew

Thread