1996-08-18 - Re: MD5 completely broken!

Header Data

From: “Z.B.” <zachb@netcom.com>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: bff24bd253852998aae71e7a85650aa2225797dffe38e6a38164ba175fdf9a9c
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9608181231.A18509-0100000@netcom20>
Reply To: <HwTusD2w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-18 21:36:55 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 05:36:55 +0800

Raw message

From: "Z.B." <zachb@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 05:36:55 +0800
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: MD5 completely broken!

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> The following is true. There used to be company in Silicon Vallye that marketed
> compression software guaranteed to reduce any file to no more than 128K, no
> matter how large the input. That side worked. The decompression side didn't.

I remember reading this file somewhere...it was satirizing either
Microsoft or IBM, and in a very serious manner, described a revolutionary
new compression program that would reduce any file to a size of one
byte.  However, in order to decompress the file, a larger file containing
all of the information of the original file needed to be attached to it.
Fun to read...

---

Zach Babayco

zachb@netcom.com  <----- finger for PGP public key