1996-08-29 - Re: libelous action

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “James C. Sewell” <jims@MPGN.COM>
Message Hash: c1f44f0448c02697eefbbf4e283c0a7e38c290955cb1f6698e14f0112b3c82c6
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960828175519.25479B-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <3.0b11.32.19960828165224.006a27ec@central.tansoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-29 04:37:18 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:37:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 12:37:18 +0800
To: "James C. Sewell" <jims@MPGN.COM>
Subject: Re: libelous action

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, James C. Sewell wrote:

> At 02:57 AM 8/27/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> >I would remind you that each and every sale you make of this product, when
>
> >based on material misrepresentation, constitutes a fraud.  If made by
>
> >wire, as these sales seem they may, they represent wire fraud.  That's one
>
> >count of fraud and one count of wire fraud.  If a check is sent to you via
>
> >mail, that's a count of mail fraud to boot.
>

>  Wow, imagine what would happen if a bunch of "in-the-know" folks bought
>
> a product like this under the claims to strong crypto and then found out
>
> they were fooled!  With charges like these a guy could get into real trouble.
>

>  I sure hope Mr. Holt isn't personally accountable.  He sounds like a
>
> real swell guy.  It would be a shame for him to go to prison for what is
>
> obviously his misunderstanding of what is cryptographically strong and
>
> what is a pitiful excuse for a product.

This would depend on whether Mr. Holt had made a reasonable assessment of
the claims made by the author of the product before claiming that the
product was exceptional or "unbreakable."

I might note that the FTC is showing increased interest in cryptography
products and the claims of their marketers.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
unicorn@schloss.li

Thread