1996-08-03 - Re: [off-topic] roving wiretaps

Header Data

From: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c4db9cb8ae3302d5344e7ed13a439db01e7bb706de7a95bb45973624c1a96278
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960802234117.006acb90@gonzo.wolfenet.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 10:27:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 10:27:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [off-topic] roving wiretaps

At 11:58 AM 8/2/96 +0000, you wrote:
>>P.S.  Do police really need a search warrant to wiretap cellular phones?
>
>It is my understanding that police need a warrant to tap *cellular*
>phones, but not *wireless* phones.
>
>One should understand that monitoring cellular traffic is *much* more
>difficult than tapping a conventional phone, because as the user
>moves around in the service area the phone switches to different
>repeaters, often several times during a conversation.

I'd have to disagree on that point.  Monitoring cellular traffic requires
nothing more than a cellular phone, and some software which enables
you to follow calls through the cells, for a total cost of about $500.
This is exceptionally trivial with an Oki 900 and a ctek cable (which
interfaces the fone with the computer).
With this software you can monitor individual cells, choosing to "lock
on" to a call made from a specific number, or to a specific number.  You
can follow calls, and record any dtmf digits.  Also the caller will never
be made aware that he/she is being listened to.
A sophisticated land line wiretap that will not be detectable by the
average citizen will cost well over $500, plus you have to install it
without the target knowing, etc.
//cerridwyn//

Thread