1996-08-27 - [noise] Re: Cypherpunk voting - ITAR or CDA

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Message Hash: cc54cefb50a24688e135cf373a80e032ec5c9d7d2357ce9cc9df7da78bf106bc
Message ID: <3.0b11.32.19960826233512.00bb673c@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:20:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:20:53 +0800
To: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Subject: [noise] Re: Cypherpunk voting - ITAR or CDA

Jim Ray wrote:
>If the Republican candidate had been Forbes, there might have been a "don't
>let the great be the enemy of the good" argument against voting
>Libertarian.

If Forbes was the current Republican canidate, the nation would be spending
itself into debt dealing with all of the therapy bills resulting from their
childrens minds being irreversably damaged from looking at the Forbe's smile
on the news every night.  Forbes looks to me like H.P. Lovecraft tried to
design a cannidate.  What Eldrich bargains has he made to get to any sort of
public acceptance with a smile like that?

> As it stands now, Dole is, at best, arguably the "lesser of 2
>evils," which still comes out evil in my book. As the designated partisan
>Libertarian on the list, I urge all cypherpunks to vote their consciences
>and pick Harry Browne and Jo Jorgensen. The mere fact that the media is
>[grudgingly] covering us suggests we are finally doing something right, and
>Harry is winning many Internet polls despite much fawning, hopeful coverage
>for the big-eared billionaire hypocrite stealth-candidate, who has no
>position but certainly would enjoy having the TLAs investigate his enemies.

I have seen little to no coverage of the Libretarians this (or any) year.
And even less coverage than usual now that they have a canidate who is even
worth voting for.  (I guess I won't vote for Pat Paulsen after all...)

As for the Perotbots...  Maybe someone should tell them what "perot" means
in French.

>I fully accept that it is likely Dole or Clinton will win, but I think it
>will fill an important cypherpunk goal if the Libertarian Party candidates
>get a vote large enough to be the margin of victory, and I will be very
>proud of my vote, no matter who wins this election. Vote your consciences
>for your own sake, and the sake of the children who will inherit the debt
>of the irresponsible statists in power now.

And if Dole wins and dies in office, they could just pickle him and no one
would notice.  It would not be the first time we had a dill-dole running the
country.
---
|  "Remember: You can't have BSDM without BSD. - alan@ctrl-alt-del.com  "|
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread