1996-08-27 - “The Observer” calls the internet a child pornography ring

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com (James A. Donald)
To: N/A
Message Hash: d06636f9cc03d6f693be9c51ce07774dbf012fbaf7e4141119b34f6317986e47
Message ID: <199608272015.NAA28383@dns1.noc.best.net>
Reply To: <152310Z18071996@anon.penet.fi>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-27 23:18:45 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 07:18:45 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 07:18:45 +0800
Subject: "The Observer" calls the internet a child pornography ring

Banner Front page headline in the British Observer, Sunday 25th

"The Peddlers of child abuse"
see http://scallywag.com/

The internet is presented as a conspiracy by child molesters.

There is a picture of Johan Helsingius, the man who free of charge
provides an anonymous remailer service:  The picture is captioned "The
internet middle man who handles 90% of all child pornography"  He is
represented as personally profiting from the distribution of child
pornography, though in fact no posts to binary newsgroups can go
through his system, and no large binaries can go through his system,
and he provides the anonymising service free of charge.

There is a picture of Clive Feather, the man who runs the largest
internet service provider in Britain, captioned "The school governor
who sells access to photos of child rape"]]

The observer article savagely demonizes all who use the internet,
presenting it as primarily existing for the purpose of distributing
child pornography, and demonizes and libels by name those who have
sought to defend the liberty of netizens.

I urge you all to check out this article, and send snail mail letters
to the observer condemning (since they are obviously too low tech to
read email) and email letters of support to those netizens who have
been savagely libeled for their defence of liberty.
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald       jamesd@echeque.com

Thread