1996-08-11 - Re: Rumors of death of Anguilla Data are greatly exagerated.

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d17e0dc431af8ace3f33b4313b137e952e406f691f81a876b2752272aecad40b
Message ID: <ae337a8400021004b45e@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:47:54 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:47:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Rumors of death of Anguilla Data are greatly exagerated.

At 3:20 PM 8/11/96, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Timothy C. May writes:
>> Selling fake passports seems not to be something Vince ought to even be
>> paying attention to. Granted, pressure from outside states may put pressure
>> on Vince, but this actually confirms my worst (OK, _nearly_ my worst)
>> suspicions about the viability of such data havens.
>
>Vince has the right to run his business any way he likes.

Of course. I never said otherwise, so this is a straw man argument.

Ditto for remailers, ISPs, bookstores, blah blah blah. But this does not
mean people should say nothing about what they learn the practices to be.

>In some jurisdictions, "Fake" passports are legal. In some, they are
>illegal. Vince feels that in his jurisdiction they are illegal. He has
>every right to decide who to allow to run off of his web servers --
>even to be arbitrary about it.

Of course. I never said otherwise.

Those of us who have commented are not challenging his legal right to do
so, only remarking that if he cancels accounts without stronger legal
evidence, or without making it clear what is acceptable and what is not, he
risks losing reptuation capital.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!