1996-08-01 - Re: Jewell is the Militia Bomber!!!!

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rich@c2.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d42f7750349c3a3c4087b168a1bad89a1cc423266c81ce9011fe6ba5e5e422f0
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.95.960731224213.20404G-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <ae25687f0102100499f1@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-01 08:35:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 16:35:19 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rich@c2.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 16:35:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Jewell is the Militia Bomber!!!!

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> The security guard Jewell is now confirmed to be the prime suspect. While
> NBC News is reporting that no evidence _directly_ links him to the bombing,
> the evidence against him is overwhelming:
>
> 1. He is overweight. With the exception of The Unabomber, most perps in
> cases like this are fat.

Au contraire:

 Let me have men about me that are fat;
 Sleek-headed men, and such as sleep o' nights:
 Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
 He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
[...]
        He reads much;
 He is a great observer, and he looks
 Quite through the deeds of men: he loves no plays,
 As thou dost, Antony: he hears no music:
 Seldom he smiles; and smiles in such a sort
 As if he mock'd himself, and scorn'd his spirit
 That could be mov'd to smile at anything.

Which member of the Dream Team does this remind you of?

> (P.S. I, too, was convinced Jewell was the guy. But in recent hours it is
> looking like a "rush to judgment" could be involved. There is strong
> pressure to "solve the crime" by the close of the Olympics on Sunday.)

All I know is:

1. At least one person is dead, and lots more injured.
2. For nothing.

Ferchrissakes, guys, take a step back and look at yourselves. You're playing
the spin control game just as fast and furious as the "bad guys" (?). First
the glee over how easy it was to find bomb-making instructions anywhere,
then saying it was a provocation by the government, now it becomes a
conspiracy against fat people who read gun magazines.

-rich
 [blue-ribbon disclaimer: it's called sarcasm, son, SARCASM]
 censor the internet! http://www.stanford.edu/~llurch/potw2/
 boycott fadetoblack! http://www.fadetoblack.com/prquest.htm

Thread