1996-08-21 - Re: [NOISE]CIA Contra Crack and LA Gangs (fwd)

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Message Hash: e0b6152c13e9ea4ae77c1ea3866c589d8b83ba4fa4cf6bcbf8795235a137f2ef
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.95.960821002948.14190A-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199608210335.XAA87778@osceola.gate.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-21 10:11:44 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 18:11:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 18:11:44 +0800
To: Jim Ray <liberty@gate.net>
Subject: Re: [NOISE]CIA Contra Crack and LA Gangs (fwd)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Jim Ray wrote:

> OK, Rich cites a loon, but the fact is that Southern Air Transport
> right here in Miami was in there early in the contraarms-coke
> trade.

Oh, I don't think it's impossible or even unlikely that at least some of the
groups lumped together as "contras" were involved in drug smuggling, and I
think it's reasonable to have different views regarding how much money was
involved and who knew what when (my view is very little, and medium). What I
object to are conspiracy theories along the lines of:

1. The Reagan Administration used the Contras to smuggle crack to the US in
   a deliberate attempt at genocide against Black people. (I heard this a
   lot, though seldom in so many words, on KPFK in the mid-80's; the SJ Merc
   series certainly has this as a subtext.)
2. Clinton was a CIA agent involved in the Contra drug-smuggling CaBaL. He
   was involved in anti-war protests only as a CIA informant. (This is the
   suggestion of the Morris book.)
3. Anything involving the Kennedy assassination, Donna Rice, or Elvis.

> It is a major, bipartisan, Watergate-style but bigger
> scandal, and the strange bedfellows in the media who were doing a
> halfway decent job of covering it [The Wall Street Journal and
> "High Times" magazine(!)] have fallen strangely silent on the
> subject as the election approaches. Hmmmmm.

4. Anything where vague unsupported asserions are thrown out, followed by
   a Hmmmmm (sorry).

-rich

Thread