1996-08-22 - Re: Securing Internet mail at the MTA level

Header Data

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: e1586509f6fc89901c35cf7d00f54cdf816d3b8d9000eff648a726fe4ff5f273
Message ID: <9608212008.AA21573@spirit.aud.alcatel.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:43:20 +0800

Raw message

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:43:20 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Securing Internet mail at the MTA level

> > It's also clear to me that for E-mail, you don't want transport level
> > security for the system; you want "object" security, that is, digital
> > signature and encryption of the mail message.
>
> Yup. This is a frequently missed point. Link security and object
> security have different uses at different times -- and people confuse
> them way too often.

With the question of "Do you want object security or link security
for email?"  The answer is (as with all security questions) "What
is your threat model?"

For example:  Your company does not have mailreaders capable
of doing encryption (at least not easy enough for average users).
Your supplier has the same situation.  You have accepted
this fact for the time being, and trust that your employees
won't tinker with the email if they want their job for long.

However, the email you send to your supplier and vice-versa
should not go over the Internet unencrypted as it potentially
contains sensitive information.

So, a link-level encryption that the two co-operating
sys-admins can set up would be a good solution.  This would
be easier to set up and maintain than a encrypted router tunnel
through the net, and solve your problem.

Of course, I'll submit that object security on email would
be preferable, but that might not be pratical right now.

Dan
Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
droelke@aud.alcatel.com                             Richardson, TX

Thread