1996-08-10 - Re: Massively parallel carbon-unit-based voice pattern matching

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: f2a6a95fbb8f2175323f9cb2cb0af49607a3263fbdae98a4d7771fc84320ee4c
Message ID: <199608100145.SAA03557@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 11:51:27 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 11:51:27 +0800
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Massively parallel carbon-unit-based voice pattern matching

At 06:09 PM 8/9/96 -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, jim bell wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to modify speech to remove the identifiable
>> characteristics which came from the speaker, and replace them
>> with those of some other person.
>
>Equipment exists that can remove the microtremors associated with
>stress, thus defeating voice stress analysis technology.

I wonder if such equipment is used on CSPAN and CSPAN-2?

(And that's a serious question!)

There is a relatively famous neurologist named Oliver Sacks who has written
a series of books concerning odd brain disorders among his and other
patients.  In one book (maybe it was, "The Man who mistook his wife for a
hat") he describes a scene where a group of patients with the same ailment
(maybe it was called "aphasia", but it's been a few years...) were watching
a speech by Ronald Reagan.    As I recall, people with this ailment can't
understand what's being said to them, but they CAN tell whether the person
speaking is telling the truth.  (or, at least, BELIEVES he's telling the
truth...)

All the patients laughed at Reagan's speech.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread