1996-08-08 - Re: Washington Post – “Block but Verify”

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: frissell@panix.com
Message Hash: fce1046cf6ca939b02eaa7c36db47d437c97d8d1f119c5fa2f22e0474afad702
Message ID: <01I80894N1WU9JD2RG@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:39:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:39:16 +0800
To: frissell@panix.com
Subject: Re: Washington Post -- "Block but Verify"

From:	IN%"frissell@panix.com"  "Duncan Frissell" 18-JUL-1996 06:17:23.58

>          57.  The CyberNOT list contains approximately 7000
>sites in twelve categories.  The software is designed to enable
>parents to selectively block access to any or all of the twelve
>CyberNOT categories simply by checking boxes in the Cyber Patrol
>Headquarters (the Cyber Patrol program manager).  These
>categories are:

>         Racism/Ethnic Impropriety:  Prejudice or discrimination
>          against any race or ethnic culture.  Ethnic or racist
>          jokes and slurs.  Any text that elevates one race over
>          another.

	In other words, if I say that there's something wrong with a culture
that doesn't encourage education (e.g., the "acting white" name-calling in
American lower-class black subcultures), the entire Cypherpunks list archives
would be banned by their standards by any parents who didn't want their
children seeing KKK literature? TCMay has also said things of that nature (and
I agree). This definition is way overly PC.
	-Allen

Thread