1996-08-29 - Re: Real or Not ?

Header Data

From: Daniel Hagerty <hag@ai.mit.edu>
To: Chip Mefford <cmefford@avwashington.com>
Message Hash: fce5bb2d18a62cfb9919d721dc9cc505a199dd0f43c46b0a9d15a5ad6618e7d4
Message ID: <199608282125.RAA26272@galapas.ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <199608281157.EAA04520@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-29 01:55:23 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:55:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Daniel Hagerty <hag@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:55:23 +0800
To: Chip Mefford <cmefford@avwashington.com>
Subject: Re: Real or Not ?

 > > It took the agency more to modify GNU C, but eventually they did it.
 > >The Free Software Foundation was threatened with "an IRS investigation",
 > >in other words, with being forced out of business, unless they complied. The
 > >result is that all versions of GCC on the FTP sites and all versions above
 > >2.2.3, contain code to modify PGP and insert the trapdoor. Recompiling GCC
 > >with itself will not help; the code is inserted by the compiler into
 > >itself. Recompiling with another compiler may help, as long as the compiler
 > >is older than from 1992.

    Umm, no.  I work for the Foundation in my copious free time.  This
has never happened.  And I just asked Richard about it to be sure.  He
was amused.
    It would be *very* difficult to pass this by anyone.  People at
FSF diff the source code a lot, and we're far from the only ones.

Thread