1996-09-07 - Cellular phone tracing

Header Data

From: “E. Allen Smith” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 179716b72b78a6467eca1f680c3c920a7298acd347ca8905619d0b0351b762dd
Message ID: <01I96117UUVI9JDL62@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 09:17:46 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 09:17:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cellular phone tracing

	From comp.risks:

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: glassman@sunsite.unc.edu
Subject: FedEx monitoring of cellular phonecall locations

[...] nowhere near either of those places, so I did not bother to mention my
current location to the operator. The next day, Saturday, I called FedEx
with the same cell phone from Blowing Rock to arrange the pickup. The
operator immediately asked if I wanted them to come to the intersection that
I had placed my call from the day before.

Two days later, a FedEx operator confirmed that they are getting "new
systems" at some locations that are able to record the locations from which
cellular calls are placed.

I have now asked Cellular One three times to explain to me why they do not
tell subscribers that they pass this location information through the
system, but to no avail. [...]

========== end fwd.

Thread