1996-09-04 - Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Jon Lebkowsky <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 225d043895681530f02a48c0de208c8990f46c3893ce6d8a11f9d89947ae1a41
Message ID: <199609040534.WAA18683@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:49:14 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:49:14 +0800
To: Jon Lebkowsky <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

At 10:41 PM 9/3/96 -0500, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:
>The terms "responsibility" and "accountability" are misused, which is
>unfortunate, since I think we'd all argue in favor of taking responsibility
>for our speech/actions in a positive sense. The negative is in asking me to
>sacrifice my freedom because some few behave irresponsibly. This is like
>setting an illogical default, assuming that it's a preventive, but it
>prevents nothing.
>
>Getting beyond this discussion of EFF, has any global entity discussed
>making remailers illegal?

The Leahy crypto bill introduced early this year made (paraphrasing) "the
use of encryption to thwart a law-enforcement investigation illegal."  I
immediately pointed out that while this wouldn't make _encrypted_ remailers
illegal, per se,  effectively it would because the moment an investigation
(even a phony or trumped-up one) is started and is "thwarted" by the
encryption used, the remailer operator became guilty of a crime.

True, the USG isn't quite a "global entity" (even though it has a nasty
habit of behaving like it!), but along with Europe (which would presumably
treaty with USG any such restrictions) it's the next closest thing.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread