1996-09-10 - RE: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Header Data

From: DAVID A MOLNAR <molnard1@nevada.edu>
To: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Message Hash: 288cafbf7ca39d24cbb002a5f6358952d2b2019cf509f2c45b3e64a6c4a2083c
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.91.960909225203.15606B-100000@pioneer.nevada.edu>
Reply To: <9608098423.AA842308610@smtplink.alis.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-10 10:43:28 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 18:43:28 +0800

Raw message

From: DAVID A MOLNAR <molnard1@nevada.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 18:43:28 +0800
To: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Subject: RE: What is the EFF doing exactly?

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996 jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca wrote:

> This may be a hopelessly naive question, but is it possible to refuse payment in
> cash? Is it really good for all debts public and private?
>
> James
	I think this was mentioned a while back. If I recall correctly, a
business may not refuse cash for a debt already incurred, but may refuse
to allow you to incur said debt. That is, while cash is legal tender, a
business may still refuse it, on the principle that they may not be
compelled to provide service to any person or class of persons. In this
case, class of persons == those w/cash.

So, no, if you already had a contract or obligation, they may not refuse
payment in cash. They may try. However, walking up to a store counter or
a FedEx depot is a different matter. One only has to wonder about
restaurants which want to refuse cash...do you pay before eating, then?
Ask for proof of credit before opening service?

So far as I think...

-David Molnar

Thread