1996-09-23 - Re: Jena Remailer

Header Data

From: William Ono <wmono@direct.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2a28e8e3295d3437b14c08b29b4022b8f320c5489c820b04647e9c1e2c8429ee
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.94.960922194440.263B-100000@crash.direct.ca>
Reply To: <199609221720.KAA15948@sirius.infonex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-23 09:06:41 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:06:41 +0800

Raw message

From: William Ono <wmono@direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 17:06:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Jena Remailer

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Mixmaster wrote:

> The trickiest thing about it - by far - is the inscrutable English
> translation of the helpfile.  I have been trying for over a week to make
[...]
> Can any native English speaker please paraphrase the account start-up
> procedure for us?

I took a stab at re-writing the help file, and I've attached it below.
The operator of jena might want to use it instead of the help file
currently being distributed, after correcting any errors and adding the
German sections back in.

IMHO, the How do I.. section is the most useful.

I believe these instructions are correct -- I was able to follow them to
create a nym, and use it.  YMMV.

--
William Ono <wmono@direct.ca>                                PGP Key: F3F716BD
 fingerprint = A8 0D B9 0F 40 A7 D6 64  B3 00 04 74 FD A7 12 C9 = fingerprint

Pseudonymous Server Help
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This pseudonymous server allows private, pseudonymous communication.  When
used with chained remailers, true pseudonymity without fear of a connection
to a real address can be achieved.

Some things to remember about this server:

 - When creating a pseudonym, a special PGP key created for this purpose is
   sent to the server.  This will be used to name the pseudonym, and assign
   a Email address.

    * The hexadecimal key-ID forms the Email address.  For example, if the
      nym's key is 0x01020304, the address will be:
        anon-01020304@as-node.jena.thur.de

    * The user-ID of the key contains the pseudonym, only.  Note: This is
      different from the convention, which is to include the Email address
      in angle brackets.

 - To publish something under a pseudonym, send a encrypted, signed email
   to this server, which will post it to one or more Usenet newsgroups,
   or send it via Email.

 - Anyone is able to reply to items published under a pseudonym.  Anything
   sent to the pseudonym's Email address is stored on the server, encrypted
   with the pseudonym's public key.

 - Because the server does not know (and does not want to know) the true
   identity behind a pseudonym, mail cannot be delivered directly.

 - Mail is delivered only when a signed, encrypted request is received from
   a nym.  At this time, all waiting mail is sent to the address specified
   in the encrypted message.

 - The server never answers.  If something goes wrong, the job will be
   dropped silently.

All commands are sent in the Subject: header of the unencrypted
(plaintext) message, and should be Emailed to anon@as-node.jena.thur.de
There are two commands:

 help - sends the server's help file.

 send - delivers waiting mail.  The body of the Email should be a signed,
         encrypted message with a Reply-To: header, which is where the
         mail will be delivered via Mixmaster remailers.  (The key that
         the body is signed with determines which nym's mail is delivered.)
         The nym's mail spool is then purged.  To prevent replay attacks,
         the signature must be less than 48 hours old.  If the signature
         is not valid, the request is bounced and the headers are saved,
         encrypted, in the nym's mail spool.

If no valid command is found in the Subject: header, the body is checked for
a signed, encrypted (to the server) message.

If the signature is from a keyID belonging to an existing nym, and the
check fails, the headers are saved, encrypted, in the nym's mailspool.  This
is to alert the owner of the nym to a possible spoof attempt.

If the signature check fails because the keyID that the signature is from
is unknown, the decrypted body is assumed to contain a public key for a
new nym, which will be added to the server's database.

If the signature is valid, the decrypted body should be a header for the
outbound mail, followed by a blank line, then the body for the outbound
mail.  The following are headers considered valid by the server:

 * Subject: (or Anon-Subject:)

 * To: (or Anon-To:)