1996-09-01 - Re: “Security risks” vs. “credit risks”

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 2dfd253dc69af51edf03f44228ea81cc49ee5fe8971c26804ea019142345c677
Message ID: <199609010153.UAA22411@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <ae4e076b0102100432c4@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-01 03:38:50 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:38:50 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:38:50 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: "Security risks" vs. "credit risks"

Timothy C. May wrote:
> There is great danger, to be sure, especially if one's writings and public
> utterances become entries into a "threat data base." But I see nothing
> unsurprising in, say, American Airlines expressing more interest in Jim
> Bell or Tim May, both of whom have written publically about terrorism and
> "soft targets," and both of whom have written about how to make pipe bombs,
> than in Marianne Smith, retired school teacher from Peoria.

... bobbit ...

> Remember, private airlines are just that: private. Surely we do not support
> laws which limit a private airline from using data it has acquired to
> decide whom to pay closer attention to. This is the essence of what
> knowledge is.

Unfortunately, most private businesses suck up to the government. It
is understandable if we note that they can be harassed by the government.
Airlines, for example, are under tight and rather arbitrary control of
the FAA.

	- Igor.

Thread