1996-09-12 - Sen. Burns’ statement on postponement of Crypto vote today.

Header Data

From: jseiger@cdt.org (Jonah Seiger)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 30e4142f9f482cdb8d59e765840bee7b153ac806d992422aa83d1531e4c92149
Message ID: <v02140b04ae5dc661122e@[204.157.127.4]>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:44:24 +0800

Raw message

From: jseiger@cdt.org (Jonah Seiger)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 02:44:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Sen. Burns' statement on postponement of Crypto vote today.

As you may have heard by now, the Senate commerce committee markup of the
Burns/Leahy "Pro-CODE' bill, originally set for today, has been postponed.
Indications from the Commerce Committee staff are that this was largely due

to scheduling issues, although end-of-the-session politics are also playing
a role.

Both the Committee staff and Senator Burns himself (see note below) have
said they are committed to holding a markup before the end of the session.
We expect more information early next week and will post updates as soon as
new information becomes available.

Senator Burns asked us to forward the following note to the net.community:

>From: Conrad_Burns@burns.senate.gov
>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 09:55:35 EST
>To: jseiger@cdt.org
>Subject: Open Letter to the Internet from Senator Burns
>
>     The Commerce Committee markup on Pro-CODE, S. 1726, that we had
>     expected to have held on Thursday, September 12 has been postponed.  I
>     am fully committed to taking Pro-CODE to markup, out of committee and
>     onto the floor of the Senate in this Congress.  I believe that this
>     legislation is vital to ensuring the continued strength of America's
>     high-tech community and the privacy of its citizens.  I would like to
>     thank the many thousands of Netizens who have expressed their support
>     for Pro-CODE.
>
>     Sincerely,
>
>     U.S. Senator Conrad Burns

Please keep your phone calls coming to the Senate Commerce Committee
members offices, and be sure to sign the petition at
http://www.crypto.com/petition/.
A coalition alert with more information will be posted soon.

Jonah

  ** THE FIGHT FOR FREE SPEECH ONLINE CONTINUES TO THE SUPREME COURT **
      It's not too late to be a part of history -- Join the Lawsuit
         <http://www.cdt.org/ciec>   --    <ciec-info@cdt.org>

--
Jonah Seiger, Policy Analyst           Center for Democracy and Technology
<jseiger@cdt.org>                           1634 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100

Thread