1996-09-12 - Re: Hacking Mobil Telephone System ?

Header Data

From: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
To: Jüri Kaljundi <jk@stallion.ee>
Message Hash: 385666aff134eae1c6479c5fe0a04d321fb5335bbcf8c58a7f68fcf84b1db1cf
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.93.960911184130.18070A-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.93.960911200728.11985B-100000@nebula>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-12 01:31:03 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:31:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:31:03 +0800
To: Jüri Kaljundi <jk@stallion.ee>
Subject: Re: Hacking Mobil Telephone System ?

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, [ISO-8859-1] Jüri Kaljundi wrote:

> Actually 65.000$ is pronounced sixty five thousand dollars not sixty five
> dollars, at least in Eastern and Central Europe.

Ok, Juri - you win the award of having been the FIRST of the 875,00
(actually, 27 - count 'em, 27) people who sent me mail to say that in
Europe they use a comma, not a period, for their decimal point.  Sorry to
all of the rest of you who entered the contest, but you don't win squat.
Juri, you don't win squat either, but you do get this nifty little
proclamation that you were the very first.

After having traveled in Europe, I was certainly familiar with the
difference in the notation.  You also think, however, that I would have
paid more attention to what the hell I was reading before I shot off my
mouth (via my keyboard), but I didn't.  I think this is called a "brain
fart" (note to our European brothers and sisters - over there, I think you
call it a "mental fugue" or "Parliamentary election," I'm nor sure which).

This concludes our contest of the day.  I would like to thank EACH and
EVERY one of you who contributed an entry.  No further submissions will be
accepted.  Void where prohibited.

BTW, $65,000.00 USD (translate per local convention as necessary) is
*STILL* not enough to a) go up against the German police, and b) fund a
penetration attack that would bring about the opportunity to play with
really cool toys.  After all, screw the profit or charity, right?  When
it's all said and done, IT'S THE TOYS THAT REALLY MATTER.

|And if Dole wins and dies in office, they|        Mark Aldrich         |
|could just pickle him and no one would   |   GRCI INFOSEC Engineering  |
|notice.  It wouldn't be the first time we|     maldrich@grci.com       |
|had a dill-dole running the country.     | MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil|
|               -- Alan Olsen             |                             |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |