1996-09-01 - “Douglas R. Floyd” dfloyd@io.com: Re: File System Encryption

Header Data

From: patrickbc@juno.com (patrick b cummings)
To: best-of-security@suburbia.net
Message Hash: 38fd99e18b446c95eb618c5c985ef09f9e9aa1c96fedc39675064eaf7c29be71
Message ID: <19960830.175522.9758.4.patrickbc@juno.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 08:58:28 +0800

Raw message

From: patrickbc@juno.com (patrick b cummings)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 08:58:28 +0800
To: best-of-security@suburbia.net
Subject: "Douglas R. Floyd" <dfloyd@io.com>: Re: File System Encryption

From: "Douglas R. Floyd" <dfloyd@io.com>
To: drifter@c2.net (Drifter)
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: File System Encryption
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:01:03 -0500 (CDT)

> I'm aware of the three main disk encryption programs SFS, SECDRV, and
> SECDEV, but I need to find a solution that works with Windows 95 32bit
> or Windows NT 4.0.
>
> I'm currently using SFS 1.17 and Secure Drive under Win-95, but am
> unable to continue to work in dos compatability mode due to severe
> performance hits.  I am open to commercial products that have passed
> peer review, but know of none.
>
> If anyone could suggest a solution (outside of switching OS's), I
> would be *most* gratefull.
>
> Please respond to the list, as I am a subscriber under another
> account.

If you have another 386 or 486 lying around, you could install Linux and
Ian's encrypted loopback code on a remote box, then NFS or Samba the
filesystem over.  For protection, you could modify the vlock command to
lock the console (and not unlock it), and disable inetd.  Then, unless
someone has the permissions to access the files through the network, the
files are inaccessable ;-).

> The Drifter

You could find some programers on the net and make a new one that is
windows 95 compatible.

Thread