1996-09-30 - RE: Looking for Qualified Individual/Firm to Contract for Cryptanalysis

Header Data

From: thad@hammerhead.com (Thaddeus J. Beier)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3a2262570a81e7705d76f66378e3e837c69f2b206feddcab86ab3034bc2f13df
Message ID: <199609301400.HAA15466@hammerhead.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 02:52:43 +0800

Raw message

From: thad@hammerhead.com (Thaddeus J. Beier)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 02:52:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Looking for Qualified Individual/Firm to Contract for   Cryptanalysis

I saw this

> > I am looking for one or more people (or firms) who are qualified to perform
> > world class cryptanalysis work. Please send mail to me at joswald1@msn.com
> > call in the U.S. at +1 408.479.7874
> >
> > Jack Oswald

and then this...

> [from alt.religion.scientology, where net-activist Grady Ward is a subject
> of a lawsuit from the Scientologists...]
>
> Grady Ward posted updates in his case of alleged copyright and trade
> secret violation.
>
> "Word as of September 26, 1996 at 10:00 AM is that the technician who has
> been trying to 'crack' files apparently encrypted using PGP has admitted
> that 'he can make no further progress' after a month of concentrated
> effort.
>
> "The disks will remain in a safety deposit box until the 'ho reveals any
> new plans for bringing in cryptography experts to assist in the analysis."

[the 'ho here is a nasty name for the religions key lawyer, Helena
Kobrin]

The trial is happening in San Jose, and I wouldn't be at all surprised
if the attempted cryptanalysis is happening there, too.  They've been
working at it for a few months now.

thad
-- Thaddeus Beier                     thad@hammerhead.com
   Visual Effects Supervisor                408) 286-3376
   Hammerhead Productions  http://www.got.net/people/thad

Thread