1996-09-04 - Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Stanton McCandlish <stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
Message Hash: 4b8dd39a24ed1e4e32af0e7ab343c377aa45a1290bda250b43032e531cad5ed3
Message ID: <199609032113.OAA06380@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:24:24 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 09:24:24 +0800
To: Stanton McCandlish <stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
Subject: Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

At 12:53 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Stanton McCandlish wrote:
> EFF in generally does not issue extremist position
> statements, but is careful to examine the risks as well as the benefits,
> and look for pro-liberty solutions to those risks.

If the right to speak anonymously is an "extremist" position in the eyes
of the EFF, then they are no friends of liberty.

It is hardly an "extremist" position outside of such countries as Cuba,
Iran, or China.

It is the overwhelmingly mainstream position, not just among netizens,
but when last heard, amongst supreme court judges and ordinary people
in the street.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com