1996-09-08 - Re: PRESS RELEASE: GERMANY CENSORS DUTCH WEBSITE WWW.XS4ALL.NL

Header Data

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 74e89661e8ca09de0b1ff8ed04df889ef7cb4f5f53d6137da969f70d5c212b3d
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960908184651.00ac63d4@vertexgroup.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 05:04:56 +0800

Raw message

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 05:04:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PRESS RELEASE: GERMANY CENSORS DUTCH WEBSITE WWW.XS4ALL.NL

At 03:24 AM 9/6/96 -0700, you wrote:

>* wouldn't it be deliciously ironic if the "Free Speech Blue Ribbon" now
>attached to so many pages were to be joined by a "Star of David"? This Star
>of David symbol could mean "We support freedom to read, and our site
>contains the "Radikal" publication which Germans are forbidden to access."

Well I think the Star of David has so many meanings that the message may get
muddled. Seems like busy sites can support the mirror of their choice by
putting a note such as "This is a Radikal site". The "mispelling" is the medium.

>(I know nothing of how such symbolic campaigns are actually launched and
>managed, so I'm suggesting the hint of an idea. I do think mirroring the
>banned publication (_any_ banned publication, by _any_ government) on as
>many sites as possible is a Good Idea.)

Tell two people. Put up a mirror. Add a link on a busy page. Did I miss
anything?

--j
http://206.101.74.42 is a Radikal site

Thread