1996-09-03 - Re:

Header Data

From: DAVID A MOLNAR <molnard1@nevada.edu>
To: Sean Sutherland <maverick@thepentagon.com>
Message Hash: 76131ff390bb4caade47dac616ef6f7b2ad570e475239fe8498657641b30b042
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.91.960902183532.8594B-100000@pioneer.nevada.edu>
Reply To: <19960825000344312.AAA199@maverick>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-03 05:50:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:50:57 +0800

Raw message

From: DAVID A MOLNAR <molnard1@nevada.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:50:57 +0800
To: Sean Sutherland <maverick@thepentagon.com>
Subject: Re:

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Sean Sutherland wrote:
> > Does anybody know what I can get for generating the credit card
> >  numbers?
> >

> And they say there's hope for the youth of America.
	It would seem that the hope of the "youth of America" lies in
convincing all others they do not exist. After all, if behaviour is the
only standard by which to determine age, one only exists as a "youth"
when one exhibits the negative qualities of childhood. This is then used
as an excuse to segregate, control, censor, and reject one's input on the
grounds of age.

The offense is not being a youth. The offense is getting caught. Clueless
remarks (as the above), are a form of "getting caught".

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see "the youth of America" emerge
as one of the biggest users of nymservers and anon remailers. With the
push toward hard identities we're likely to see, I think more and more
"youth" will come to realize how limiting the stigma of 'child' or
'teenager' can be, and will work to trandescend it. Besides, there's
always the need to hide from parents. An entire generation of people
disappearing into the woodwork, so to speak(*).

Expect to see a lot of ranting about how the Internet is "stealing away
childhood" when people finally catch on to what's happening. You could
say that the current child porn hysteria is just the opening shot. I
wonder what kinds of laws we will see. Perhaps it will become illegal
to operate a computer without a license. :-)

-David Molnar

* Yes, yes, "an entire generation" is overreaching future-speak. It
ignores the millions of people who can't or won't have access to the Net,
it assumes everyone will want freedom (after all, people stay in AOL's
monitored chat rooms and speak Beavis and Butthead to each other all day
long), it assumes enough things to make it a piece of empty rhetoric.
However, it's a nice-sounding piece of empty rhetoric.

Thread