1996-09-25 - ISPs’ information on users

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 76e14e2abdc70802ebf47b5d7e83bef91243995dfaef6ffe0fafa72eb766aa50
Message ID: <v03007801ae6df29ec7c8@[206.119.69.46]>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:43:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:43:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ISPs' information on users

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:57:01 -0400
To: dcsb@ai.mit.edu
From: Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com>
Sender: bounce-dcsb@ai.mit.edu

Something to think about before any of us start selling Ketchup on-line via
E-cash...

>Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:53:02 -0400
>From: darius@world.std.com (Darius Thabit)
>Subject: ISPs' information on users

>Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 01:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Phil Agre <pagre@weber.ucsd.edu>
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
>Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
>You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
>the "redirect" command.  For information on RRE, including instructions
>for (un)subscribing, send an empty message to  rre-help@weber.ucsd.edu
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
>Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:16:19 +0200
>From: steve@isys.hu (Steven Carlson)
>To: hungary-online-announce@hungary.yak.net
>Subject: (HOL-A) It's a Brave Old World
>
>  ------------------------------
>  Brave Old World:
>  Reflections on Europe in the Digital Age
>  by Steven Carlson; 20 Sep 1996
>  ------------------------------
>
>  ** So Much Fuss About A Bottle Of Ketchup
>
>  Hungarian police recently sent a fax around to the local Internet
>  service providers (ISPs) asking them to provide lists of their users
>  in Esztergom, a small town outside of Budapest. It seems somebody
>  had planted a bomb in a bottle of ketchup. Since everyone knows you
>  can download bomb-making instructions from the Internet, the police
>  figured they should investigate the local users. No, I'm not making
>  this up.
>
>  What's more, nearly every local ISP gave the police this information.
>  Fortunately my company has no users in Esztergom and so that's what we
>  told the police. We got off lucky. Believe me, as much as might want
>  to make a stand for privacy of information my company is NOT eager to
>  do battle with the Hungarian authorities.
>
>  But that's what it might take. Because if the Hungarian police really
>  understood the Internet they could have asked for even more. For
>  example, it would only take a few keystrokes to forward a users' mail
>  to the authorities. The police might also have asked for old email,
>  since many ISPs back this up routinely.
>
>  But that's not all. Some ISPs run caching servers, machines that store
>  frequently-viewed webpages so that users access them locally rather
>  than across the net. An ISP's caching server could give the police a
>  profile of what web pages the users have been browsing.
>
>  I'm not trying to scare anyone. My point is that sharing information
>  on the Internet is a two-way street. Computers keep extensive records.
>  Using the Internet often means you leave a trail behind you. This is
>  part of life in the digital age.
>
>  This "electronic trail" is not unique to the Internet. Every time you
>  use a credit card you create a record in several computers. Other
>  computers may be storing information about you such as your medical
> [...]

--- from Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com> +1 617 332 7292 ---

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread