1996-09-20 - Re: DL in exchange for fingerprint

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 789d41af478d3bc211a4edd01bd48c39c503e5c1b765267f2dd21e8699120d11
Message ID: <ae67137f030210047b42@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:08:23 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:08:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DL in exchange for fingerprint

At 9:13 PM 9/19/96, Gary Howland wrote:
>Timothy C. May wrote:
>>
>> (Yes, I disliked being thumb-printed, but I could see no viable
>> alternative. I'm sure Duncan has some scheme to declare himself a Botswanan
>> exchange student, but I decided being thumb-printed was the lesser hassle.)
>
>Sure, it's always less hassle doing what they want.  Privacy doesn't
>come for free.  It's easier to let the police search you in the street
>than it is to make them arrest you so that you can make a formal
>complaint.

So, just what it is _your_ method of dealing with this? While it is noble
to talk about fighting the system, just how do you go about doing it
yourself?

Do you simply drive without a valid driver's license? I know some folks who
do, of course, but it's not something that's "worth it" to me.

(This space reserved for your lecture about how I need to be prepared to go
to jail to defend my right not to be thumbprinted, etc. On second thought,
why don't you be the one to go to jail, and then you can let us know your
experiences.)

>> Paraphrasing that famous quote, just which part of "not for identification"
>> don't they understand?
>
>Hmm - who are you paraphrasing here? (Just curious).

"What part of "No" don't you understand?"

and

"What part of "Congress shall make no law" don't you understand?"

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.