1996-09-14 - Re: Exactly the point Lance… [Fwd: HipCrime and Art]

Header Data

From: Admin <admin@superhot.com>
To: Lance Cottrell <loki@infonex.com>
Message Hash: 865d7859edaebcd0e47cc0c684034d1e66bc3d1b3f4dd382b200c2bf47d477ff
Message ID: <199609141912.NAA13899@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 05:33:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Admin <admin@superhot.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 05:33:25 +0800
To: Lance Cottrell <loki@infonex.com>
Subject: Re: Exactly the point Lance... [Fwd: HipCrime and Art]

At 11:30 AM 9/14/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>>I think this is exactly the point. On a given page I might have several
>>>mailto tags. One for comments on some subject, one for feedback, and one
>>>for the webmaster. I expect the person mailing me to take the time to use
>>>the correct mailbox. I created a page urging political activism, and
>>>included a mailto for all the relevant Senators and Representatives. I
>>>hardly think they are interested in this kind of spam.
>>
>>Of course, that would be for THEM to decide what they find interesting or
>>not. Every response to this thread always seems to impart some speculation
>>as to what other people might or might not find interesting. What one finds
>>of interest another may not so why don't we leave it up to the recipients
>>themselves instead of some self appointed censors. I'll decide whats
>>interesting to me, you decide what is interesting to you, and the senators
>>can decide whats interesting to them.
>>
>>I'm sure that some senators/reps on the various endowment for the arts
>>committees, and or the technology oversight committees would have found
>>HipCrime's sight to be of some interest. Of course if it was a blurb of some
>>new mixmaster/remailer development, you would have found it of interest, so
>>lets stop trying to guess what other people want and speak for ourselves.
>>

>>>Trawling the web for every address you can find, then mailing them all
>>>seems very inappropriate.
>>
>>To you it may not seem appropriate, as its a subjective judgement, I'm sure
>>that some brown-shirted jack-booted gov't officials beleive that using a
>>remailer for any reason is inappropriate....thats what's great about this
>>world, we all have our own subjective beliefs.
>>
>>admin
>
>Allow me to make this more concrete. I don't want see any of this fucking
>shit in my mailbox just because I have a mailto link on my Mixmaster page.
>Is that sufficiently clear?

Exactly the point, bingo!  The point is this, exactly what do YOU define as
*fucking shit* so that anyone who visits your page will know exactly what
they can and can't say to Lance Cottrell. We've determined that you don't
want to receive the HipCrime URL from your mailto: button. What about the
next visitor who comes across your page, how will they know exactly what you
do or do not find interesting? Will you put a lengthy *what I expect from
all correspondents who use my mailto: button* explanation on the page?

Perhaps a simple, *don't mail me unless I already know you and want to hear
what you have to say...* tag?

admin