1996-09-06 - Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Header Data

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
To: whgiii@amaranth.com (William H. Geiger III)
Message Hash: 8f2c96d404eb8a46a46b1dcd33b247aa22513f54370034504f76bc0c551b8bc3
Message ID: <199609052242.PAA24752@eff.org>
Reply To: <199609050409.XAA28542@mailhub.amaranth.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-06 11:39:30 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 19:39:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Stanton McCandlish <mech@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 19:39:30 +0800
To: whgiii@amaranth.com (William H. Geiger III)
Subject: Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

> >If this is the case she needs to be _much_ more careful about what she
> >says in `personal' interviews.
>
> <sigh>
>
> There seems to be a point being missed in this thread. :(
>
> This was not a 'personal' interview. The paper was not interested in
> Ms. Dyson's views on anonymity on the internet because she seemed like a
> nice person. The only reason she was interviewed is because of her
> position with the EFF as chairwoman.

Rather unlikely, actually. Dyson is far better known, everywhere but the
Internet early-adopter crowd, as publisher of Release 1.0 and an industry
analyst. Same goes for a lot of our other boardmembers. Who many people
outside of the civ-lib crowd know Jane Metcalfe from EFF, vs. from Wired?
Even Mitch Kapor is better know as founder of Lotus than of EFF. A lot of
press coverage she gets never even mentions EFF at all!  Barlow's
probalby the only exception - retired ranchers and songwriters who aren't
also singers generally don't attract many reporters.

--
<HTML><A HREF="http://www.eff.org/~mech/">    Stanton McCandlish
</A><HR><A HREF="mailto:mech@eff.org">        mech@eff.org

Thread