1996-09-19 - Re: SSN database scam?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: Jim Byrd <byrd@ACM.ORG>
Message Hash: a2fbc1dac5c01deee353d0af253acd60fa88589051c4dcce69fdb517b23c78ba
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960919003700.15630B-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960918141242.006e9b48@super.zippo.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-19 06:51:10 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:51:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:51:10 +0800
To: Jim Byrd <byrd@ACM.ORG>
Subject: Re: SSN database scam?

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jim Byrd wrote:

> At 01:22 PM 9/18/96 +0200, Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com> forwarded:
> >Forwarded from www-security mailing list.
> [snip]
>
> >Can anybody comment on the item forwarded below my sig file? It claims
> >there's a database w/ people's credit card no's etc on it and you have to
> >give your name and social security number to get off of it.  This strikes
> >me as being a scam to get your ssn, but this went around at work and
> >people are actually calling and giving it out.  I know ssn's aren't really
> >as secure as they're supposed to be, but  still...
>
> I happen to work for Lexis-Nexis, but I don't speak for the company.  Yes,
> P-Trak is real, it was recently made available to our customers.
>
> It is NOT a scam to get SSNs.  Lexis-Nexis is a large and reputable company,
> best-known for its huge legal database system, Lexis.  The Nexis side has
> news reports from a large variety of sources.
>
> P-Trak originally made SSNs available, but Lexis-Nexis removed this feature

Is your information listed in the Lexis-Nexis database?

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
unicorn@schloss.li

Thread