1996-09-02 - Re: Sharp Knives

Header Data

From: qut@netcom.com (Dave Harman OBC)
To: N/A
Message Hash: a82703477eab5749f3a94d404966441ea327ac8735e6a21559951fec75d3b0af
Message ID: <199609021338.GAA29868@netcom21.netcom.com>
Reply To: <Pine.HPP.3.91.960902134028.4162B-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-02 16:40:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 00:40:06 +0800

Raw message

From: qut@netcom.com (Dave Harman OBC)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 00:40:06 +0800
Subject: Re: Sharp Knives

!  "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>, writes:
!  >I heard on talk.politics.guns somebody say that in Sweden they
!  >had banned knives with a sharp point at the end, and were going
!  >to ban sharp knives altogether.  I think he was just engaging in
!  >hyperbole, that he really meant that gun control in Sweden was
!  >unreasonably strict, but on reflection I am not sure.
!
! There is a law in Sweden, some 5 years old, against carrying
! 'dangerous devices' (hunting knives, Ninja stars etc) in 'public
! places' (unless you are a carpenter, electrician or some such
! going about your business). It's okay to carry a knife when
! going fishing/hunting or sitting on your terrace carving totem poles.
! It's only a misdemeanour and might be punished with a fine,
! but usually the cops just use the law to disarmour street gangs
! on the spot. The effects of the law are dubious. Knives have come
! into fashion among teenagers after this legislation (but not as
! a consequence of it, I think).

In California, it's a felony to merely *own* a Ninja star.  It's a
felony to carry a *concealed* knife, but carrying it openly in a
holster is legal.  It's a felony for most people to carry a
concealed loaded handgun on the street only on a *second* offense.
It'a a felony to merely *own* a switchblade, brass knuckles, etc.
Do our weapons laws sound strange?  Are many of our weapons laws
stricter than countries like Sweden?  Yes!

Thread