1996-09-04 - (Fwd) Re: Secure anonymouse server protocol: comments please

Header Data

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aa8a308c3fd1849c603c6c065fb169d21e29f126f0e229ef97656e1cace9f7eb
Message ID: <841849157.2629.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 06:10:06 +0800

Raw message

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 06:10:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Fwd) Re: Secure anonymouse server protocol: comments please

From:          Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
To:            "paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk" <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>

On Mon, 2 Sep 1996 19:24:23 +0000, paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk wrote:

>This system has 1 huge fault, we can encrypt a uses ID with the
>servers public key to see what his ID in the encrypted database is
>and therefore identify him, maybe we need two seperate server public
>keys, and when IDs come in encrypted with key1 (the one it releases)
>it decrypts with secretkey1 then encrypts with publickey2 (the one it
>keeps secret)

>or maybe we can just hash and sign the IDs in the database?

>as I said it`s very sketchy, I made most of this up as I wrote it so
>if you must tear it to pieces please do so constructively, it could
>be the route to a secure system....

How about this:  do the exchange *every* time.  Never reuse a key.  That way at
most 1 message could be easily snagged (by seeing where it goes).  It'd be
processor intensive, but it avoids the whole reuse problem - where you store an
ID to be used to retrieve all messages.  Also, software could be written to do
the key computation solely on the client - after all, the server doesn't care
if they pass themselves a dud key, right? Let them crunch it.  Put all those
Pentiums to work!

Better idea, I hadn`t thought of that, anyone else care to comment on
a way to solve this? - how did the nymservers do it????

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
     Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
       Http://www.fatmans.demon.co.uk/crypt/

Thread