1996-09-03 - Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Header Data

From: Jon Lebkowsky <jonl@well.com>
To: Black Unicorn <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: b507062bbcb3bee5065063956f21a806b06a3a263e44ecd24cd72786567b2422
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960903115249.006e7bfc@mail.well.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 23:45:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Jon Lebkowsky <jonl@well.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 23:45:48 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

At 07:40 PM 9/2/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:
>> what *constructive*
>> alternative to EFF do you propose? if you have none, please shut up.
>
>I think any organization that would apply political pressure rather than
>bow to it would be an alternative.  I think an organization in touch
>enough with its own policy to prevent its staff and board from making
>embarassing big brother type proposals to curtail the ability of any of us
>to post without attributation would be an alternative.  I think an
>organization without the internal conflict and strife that has clearly
>marred EFF in past and made it a laughable attempt at cohesive political
>persuasion would be an alternative.  I think an organization that had
>official policies on the core issues which it proposes to influence would
>be an alternative.
>
>In short, an organization that had even one of the needed elements of
>legislative influence.  (Cohesive, directed, persistent, and
>uncompromising).

"Uncompromising" is not an "element of legislative influence," at least not
on this planet.

--
Jon Lebkowsky <jonl@hotwired.com>  FAX (512)444-2693  http://www.well.com/~jonl
Electronic Frontiers Forum, 6PM PDT Thursdays     <http://www.hotwired.com/eff>