1996-09-30 - Re: Workers, Public Schools, Tradesmen, and Justice

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Message Hash: b5f1f65dd91be9289583ca38f1ec7bd63f7e6c4b9afcf26ef0693e1b7e64abf0
Message ID: <v0300780aae74076a08fb@[206.119.69.46]>
Reply To: <v03007800ae71e5a92653@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-30 19:30:10 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 03:30:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 03:30:10 +0800
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Subject: Re: Workers, Public Schools, Tradesmen, and Justice

At 9:26 pm -0400 9/28/96, snow wrote:
>      I see no reason that general programming shouldn't be considered a
> trade. Maybe more "pure" math than a carpenter, or a mechanic, but they
> don't need the english, general history, & etc. that other "academic"
> careers need.

I have to say I agree with this. I know more than a few kids in my
neighborhood who are more than smart enough, if they got over their
technophobia and a little innumeracy. They could make more than the average
drug dealer's lookout if they were to learn to code.

Unfortunately, all the "trade" schools around here teach you to replace
boards rather than hack code.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread