1996-09-10 - Re: strengthening remailer protocols

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Message Hash: ba74fa1ee6c8048887d1746a10c241797fd9b1ea76e123918efada6f6faa2a77
Message ID: <9609101751.AA00594@ch1d157nwk>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.95.960909120620.4743A-100000@eskimo.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-10 23:14:13 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 07:14:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 07:14:13 +0800
To: Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: strengthening remailer protocols

Wei Dai writes:
>  How about a combination of the two?  Suppose Alice wants to
>  anonymously post a message and get replies.  She generates a
>  new RSA key, signs her post with it, and asks readers to send
>  encrypted replies to a server.  Then periodicly she sends a
>  one-time reply block to the server to retrieve the accumulated
>  replies.

I'd like to chime in and say that this is a really good idea.  Basically a
nymserver that holds onto incoming mail until an e-mail arrives from the nym
to retrieve it.

How would mixmaster be able to support one-time reply blocks?  If the nym's
mailbox is larger than the mixmaster message size (pretty likely) and needs
to be split up, then more than one reply-block is going to be required.
Should the nym generate a big stack of reply-blocks/routing headers and send
them in with the retrieval request?  I suppose the server could fillup as
many mixmaster message parts as it had blocks, then append something like "15
more messages waiting (32,082 bytes - Two More Reply Blocks Required)" and
ship it off.

Reliability is a problem with remailers... what happens now if a remailer in
your reply block goes out and you receive mail at your nym account?  Does it
just disappear?  With this system you could have a simple ACK protocol to
ensure reliable delivery of the mail.  A magic cookie would be appended to
your retrieved mail, which the server would then hold onto (it would still
count against your quota...).  The mail would be deleted once you sent back
an ACK with the magic cookie.

Here is yet another good application for DigiCash.  The operator could offer
free accounts with very small mailbox quotas, or charge for bigger accounts.
 Message retrieval could also be charged, of course.  Another idea is that
the sender could affix postage if they wanted their message to be appended to
a full mailbox...

A service like this is no different from something like pobox.com, except
that this service lets you pickup your mail through e-mail instead of POP.
So I don't think the operator would/should incurr any more liability for what
runs through the system than pobox.

andrew

p.s.
It would also be a cool thing, IMHO, for nym servers to bounce back an
advertisement to everyone who sends mail to a nym....   A way to spread the
word.

Thread