1996-09-09 - Re: flimflamery on anonymity

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cf78778eba4eeeda8a15ef051909bb9b857c709238fdcd2ef2bda0e7f0094510
Message ID: <199609090144.SAA12832@dns2.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 14:07:48 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 14:07:48 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: flimflamery on anonymity

james donald:
> > Lucky Green and Dark Unicorn are not accountable.  This is a problem?
> > Because it is a problem "We" need to do something about it,
(last line is sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired)

At 11:39 AM 9/4/96 -0700, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> scientists demand that each other be "accountable" for their
> work, for example, and pseudonymous publication simply would
> not be acceptable.

So?  Do you think cypherpunks are planning to go around with
guns and force scientists to pay attention to pseudonymous
scientific publications?

> what about a business
> that simply says, "we choose to require identity among our
> customers, and you can go elsewhere if you disagree". the
> extremist cypherpunks would be in a quandary over this example,
> because they think they can support anarchocapitalist
> freedom and anonymity at the same time. they will argue that
> such a business will one day not exist. but shouldn't a business be
> free to make this decision? rabid cpunks would probably
> argue against such a decision.

Cypherpunks would argue, do in fact argue, that such a business
decision will be unwise in the long run for most businesses,
but that all businesses, like anyone else, have the right to
make stupid decisions.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com