1996-09-04 - Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d192e7aa3928bf8ba4adf0c829b21296f82b81dbe55f73026ac3d01599577c34
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960904073659.26120B-100000@eff.org>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960904034147.006f6cd4@mail.well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-04 18:17:04 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 02:17:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 02:17:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:

> Getting beyond this discussion of EFF, has any global entity discussed
> making remailers illegal?

Others have responded with information about the Church of Scientology and
similar threats to remailers. I would add that global entities haven't
woken up to the threat of anonymous remailers and that remailers aren't
widely deployed yet -- two conditions that when they change will be
sufficient for a global crackdown.

My cover story in last month's issue of _Internet Underground_ magazine
discussed how governments can move quickly to craft international treaties
that could muzzle the Net. This is what we have to be on the lookout for;
in fact, we need to have a "friendly" country introduce an opposing
proposal that countries can bicker over for decades, while the Net matures
and strengthens and improves its defenses against this type of attack.

-Declan

// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread